My research interests include programming languages, compilers, and software engineering.
I received my Ph.D. from the Johns Hopkins University, advised by Scott Smith. I am a recipient of the NSF CAREER Award (2011) and the Google Faculty Research Award (2011).
(credit: M. Cohen)
|| Energy-Aware Programming Languages and Compilers
From smartphones, laptops, wireless sensor networks, to data centers, energy efficiency is increasingly becoming a critical goal of modern computing. This project investigates how energy efficiency can be improved through programming language and compiler techniques. We are currently designing a new programming language ET with a novel type system called Energy Types, a novel energy-efficient stream programming and compilation model called Green Streams, an energy-efficient multi-threaded language runtime called Hermes, and some empirical studies on energy behaviors of concurrent programs and energy-aware programmers.
|| Data-Intensive Software
Big Data applications are on the rise, with examples such as genome decoding, data warehouse mining, and exascale social network analysis. This project is aimed at providing programming and runtime support to improve the quality and performance of data-intensive applications. Our current efforts include a novel compiler support called Rate Types to reason about and optimize data stream rates in high-performance data processing, and a functional programming model called Delta Graphs for scalable and verifiable Big Graph applications.
- Kai Wang, Guoqing Xu, Zhendong Su, Yu David Liu. "GraphQ: Graph Query Processing with Abstraction Refinement," USENIX ATC, 2015.
- Gustavo Pinto, Kenan Liu, Fernando Castor, Yu David Liu, "A Comprehensive Study on the Energy Efficiency of Java Thread-Safe Collections," J. Systems and Software, 2015.
- Yuheng Long, Yu David Liu, Hridesh Rajan, "Intensional Effect Polymorphism," ECOOP, 2015.
- Haitao Steve Zhu, Chaoren Lin, Yu David Liu, "A Programming Model for Sustainable Software," ICSE, 2015.
- Kenan Liu, Gustavo Pinto, Yu David Liu, ""Data-Oriented Characterization of Application-Level Energy Optimization," FASE, 2015
- Gustavo Pinto, Fernando Castor, Yu David Liu, "Understanding Energy Behaviors of Thread Management Constructs," OOPSLA, 2014.
- Thomas Bartenstein, Yu David Liu, "Rate Types for Stream Programs," OOPSLA, 2014.
- Gustavo Pinto, Fernando Castor, Yu David Liu, "Mining Questions About Software Energy Consumption," MSR, 2014.
- Haris Ribic, Yu David Liu, "Energy-Efficient Work-Stealing Language Runtimes," ASPLOS, 2014.
- Haitao Steve Zhu, Yu David Liu, "Hierarchical Decomposition Inference with Linear Programming," ECOOP, 2013.
- Yu David Liu, "Tempo Support in Programming Languages," short paper, OBT (affiliated with POPL), 2013.
- Thomas Bartenstein, Yu David Liu, "Green Streams for Data-Intensive Software,'' ICSE, 2013.
- Siliang Li, Yu David Liu, Gang Tan, " JATO: Native Code Atomicity for Java," APLAS, 2012.
- Michael Cohen, Haitao Steve Zhu, Senem Ezgi Emgin, Yu David Liu, "Energy Types," OOPSLA, 2012.
- Thomas Bartenstein (Ph.D.)
- Anthony Canino (Ph.D.)
- Andrew Cohen (M.S.)
- Philip Dexter (Ph.D., co-advised with Kenneth Chiu)
- Kenan Liu (Ph.D.)
- Haris Ribic (Ph.D.)
- Congratulations to Jacob Strohm, who received his B.S. in December 2014. Jacob joined Google, Inc (NYC).
- Congratulations to Gustavo Pinto, who completed his Ph.D. in February 2015 at Federal University of Pernambuco (Brazil). Gustavo was a visitor to our group in the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Congratulations to Haitao Steve Zhu, who received his Ph.D. in August 2014. Steve joined Google, Inc.
- Congratulations to Chaoren Lin, who received his B.S. in May 2014. Chaoren joined Google, Inc.
- CS571: Programming Languages, Section II (Fall 2014)
- CS680P: Energy-Aware Programming Languages (Spring 2013)
- CS476/576: Programming Models for Emerging Platforms (Spring 2015)
- Chair, SPLASH/OOPSLA'15 Doctoral Symposium
- Academic Panelist, ECOOP'15 Doctoral Symposium
- Banquet Speaker, Sigma Xi Induction Ceremony, SUNY Oswego, 2015
- Keynote talk, FOAL'15
- PC member, SAC-SEAGC'15
- PC member, GPCDP'14
- Invited talk, PERTEA/WODA'14
- PC member, BDAMS'14
- PC member, PERTEA'14
- PC member, SPLASH/OOPSLA'14 Doctoral Symposium
- PC member, ECOOP'14
- PC member, SAC-SEAGC'14
- Tutorial, FSE'13
- PC member, OOPSLA'13
- Keynote talk, WoSQ'12
- PC member, SAC-SEAGC'13
- Proceedings Chair, FSE'12
- PC member, ETMEC'11
- PC member, IWACO'09